Thursday, December 7, 2006

Go and get your puppy blanket.

I have recently been reading some books on the most popular discipline tactic...time out. I understand the basic concept of time out-to get the child to stop an unwanted behavior. I don't understand how putting a small child-toddler on a step or in a chair for a few minutes will teach them to change their behavior. Sure it might get them to stop at that moment but I want long term behavior modification. So how does time out work? One of the books suggests using 'positive time out', which is to use time out only to get the child to calm down and gain self control and then address the issue. OK I think I can buy that. Today Caroline had a meltdown as I was trying to get her into the car seat. She cried and fussed all the way home. I remained calm and didn't address the screaming child in the backseat. Talking to a child who is hysterically crying just doesn't work. When we got inside the house I firmly told her to get her puppy blanket and go to her room until she can calm down and talk to mommy. Tears streaming down her face, she walked upstairs got her blanket and went to her room. Her crying stopped almost immediately. While she was doing this I was praying and asking the Lord what I needed to do to help Caroline learn from this situation. A few minutes later she asked to come out and I said yes. I briefly explained to Caroline she is expected to obey mommy. I'm not sure if this is the best way or the right way to discipline but I know it was the right thing to do at that moment. Discipline is the hardest part of parenting. There are so many books and experts that have something to say on this topic. I'm so thankful that God knows what she needs and as I trust in the Lord I will know what Caroline needs in all areas of her life.

No comments: